Thursday, February 9, 2012

Hodge-Podge and Fashion Guidelines

     Hodge-podge. Say that TEN TIMES FAST! It's tough but funny. The first word that came to my mind when I look at this set of outfit photos is hodge-podge. It's all over the place but I think it works. Maybe it's a sign that I was scatter brained at 5:30 in the morning but who isn't? Oh... not you? Well then you must be wonderwoman... or a morning person.

     I have a flowy top, geometric necklace, brown leather sandals and my black leather jacket on ALL at the same time. Then I decided it wasn't enough. So I reached for my "gumby" legs ring, piled on the bracelets and topped it with TWO green scarves. Don't worry, only one scarf went around my neck. Looking back at the pictures though makes me want to go back to my closet and put together more over-accessorized outfits.

     Now... back to the nitty gritty reasons why this outfit works requires an explanation of a few fashion guidelines I keep in mind when putting outfits together. I am sharing these with you whether you want to read them or not. I'm pushy like that.

Here are a few of the reasons why I think this outfit works:
1. color "themes" : mossy green scarf with brown shoes both of which are earth tones.
2. the pops of color are toned down when paired with neutrals. (Blue top with beige shoes & black jacket)
3. Balance: Structured geometric necklace with a flowy top or the black & blue of the necklace repeated in the blue top & black jacket.







"Gumby" legs ring.. do you see it?



Jacket: H & M
Top: F21
Jeans: Nordstrom's Rack
Earrings: shop in Chinatown (Los Angeles)
Scarf: Souvenir from Hong Kong
Necklaces: F21(Metal), Francesca's (Blue, black, clear glass)
Bracelets: F21 (bangle), Anthropologie (wrap leather bracelet)
Rings: Mom's shop (leaves), Hubba Hubba in Burbank (Gumby ring)
Purse: Kate Spade
Shoes: Banana Republic
Nails: Essie's Lapiz of Luxury (fingers), Essie's Mint Candy Apple (toes)

No comments:

Post a Comment